Triangular shawls. (sigh) How can you tell when enough is enough? The stitches are all scrunched up on the needles and you can sort of/kind of make a stab at measuring the 'wingspan'...but really? Oh, sure. You could slip the stitches onto a piece of yarn, but where's the fun in that? And then, there is the fact that this was using up some stray stash yarn. When you are out....you are out, so it's sort of a moot point anyway.
I started with a pattern for a triangular, fingering wt yarn (simple yet effective shawl), but I had aran weight wool. I know there isn't a real need for a gauge for shawl knitting, but it's a stretch to assume that the pattern for a fingering wt and an aran wt would be interchangeable. Actually, this was...sort of...because it was simply a pattern that increased at each end and around the center stitch on every even row. Simple. It alternated garter stitch sections and stockinette sections. OK.
I had a smidge over two skeins of Noro Taiyo which was roughly 1000 yds. Surely, that would be enough, but to make sure, I decided to do the garter sections (which I did randomly) in some leftover Noro Kureyon. The colors were sort of OK together, the fiber content, though, I questioned. Taiyo is cotton, silk, nylon, with a a bit of wool, and of course, the Kureyon is wooly wool. Keeping the WOOLY sections to the garter ridges worked better than I could have hoped. The colors worked far better than I had dreamed.
I used every scrap of Taiyo and three skeins of Kureyon (330 yds) to get a shawl that was 38" deep and 76" wide (before blocking...I'll probably block it a few inches more in both directions).
This really surprised me.
I'm a knitter who gravitates to fingering wt, rectangular shawls. But, I really, really love the way this turned out.
So does someone else.