I couldn't leave him like this. (well, I HAD left him like that for months....adding a body part to the pile as I finished it, but once the parts were all there....)
At first, I thought I could just do the head. That was too creepy having a 'Chucky'-like stray head in the basket looking at me. And, once I put the head on the body.... I couldn't leave him limb-less.
And believe, me, no one wants a nudie elephant running around the house, so the clothes (which were almost done) had to be finished, too.
It took every single bit of those 14 pages of instructions to get me through this project. I think my little guy looks OK. Julie's are far better than mine; I'm sure my next one will be better. Her instructions are 'right on'....perfect in every tiny detail, even to the little purl stitch that is placed as you knit the head that indicates where the ears are to be attached. It's truly an amazing pattern.
He was just a bit embarrassed to turn around and show you how his tail sticks out of the little hole in his pants (that I forgot to leave open the first round of finishing).
So, I have one very hot little elephant (in his gansey sweater) who has now taken up residence here...(yes, that's the fridge)
We're both counting the days til winter.